Monday, April 4, 2011

Headache Boy

Wade was down with a headache all day yesterday.  This is not typical of him at all.  We're fairly certain it might have to do with a cookie Ty says he ate while they were at the store with their aunt.

This sucks, because it could either be she forgot, or that she doesn't believe he has an allergy.

That might not be the case here, but I read all the time on the gluten websites that grandmas and well meaning folks will be like "one teensie little cookie won't hurt, will it?"  And then when the kid doesn't have a reaction right away it's like "see, he's fine!"

Except that Wade has delayed reactions, and will barf at 3 AM or have a headache all the next day.

I was like that with milk for a little while there, where it would be delayed.  Now straight milk--should I sneak half a cup for absorbing into cookies--will make me vomit.  Immediately.  And though I seem to be handling ice cream and some cheeses, sour cream and fake cheese (like the American singles slices or that which is found in the mac n' cheese) give me headaches.  So I always have to think out whether it was worth it.

I know slip ups happen every now and then.  Santa forgot that Wade cannot eat the big fat gingerbread cookie he brought.  And "natural flavoring" hides in things like juice.

On a lighter note, Sixlets are gluten free!  Yay for Easter candy!

I think we need to buy Wade one of these shirts when we send him with people. 

2 comments:

  1. Poor kiddo, I feel ya. I have delayed reaction too. I think I got glutened yesterday. Had an errrr... tummy thing... about an hour after I ate breakfast. :( sucks doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete