Monday, February 28, 2011

Really Cherry Limeaide? Really?

It's hard to remember everything that everyone tells you to "look out for."  Things that wheat can hide in, things that you would think are safe but somehow this secret ingredient slips in that makes these wheat-turd kids flip their lids and puke all night. 

And now that I think about it, I think someone might have warned me that juice was one of those tricky things that wheat can hide in. 

Thing is, I don't normally buy juice. 

Maybe once every 2-3 months I might buy a carton of juice for the kids.  We advocate water around here to quench thirst.  Soda is a special item that happens on the rare occasion that we go somewhere to eat, or we happen to have some root beer in the fridge--and root beer, I'm told, is another one of those things that wheat can hide in. 

Normally when I do buy juice we get something odd and something 100%.  Last one was watermelon juice, because I thought it sounded neat.  This time without really thinking, I grabbed a cherry limeaide. 

And he threw up.  All fucking night. 

He'd also had some of these amazing gluten free pretzels that day, and it could also be possible that he reached over to Ty's plate and ate a non gluten free pretzel.  But he's generally aware of the fact that Ty's food isn't always safe for him, and piggy as he may be he doesn't generally steal from other people's plates.  (He does, however, finish people's foods that are left behind if they give him permission to do so.) 

I looked at the Minute Maid Cherry Limeaide and found that yeppers, it lists "Natural flavoring." 

Mmm, the flavor of wheat? 

Fucking Limeaide. 

So fair warning, you have to check juice now too. 

Good luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment