Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Gluten Free Wonderful Bread

Wade's been having bread?  What?  Oh yeah!  Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Wonderful Bread.  It's pretty much the best thing to happen to him since becoming gluten free. 

Wade loves sandwiches, I mean what five year old doesn't?  Peanut butter, peanut butter, peanut butter, that's his stuff.  And Nutella.  He loves toast, gets sad when other people have it and he doesn't, and is now having the time of his life with his own personal loaf of Gluten Free bread made just for him. 

Making home made bread is a total "I'm a good mommeeee!" thing and a big cause for eyerolls.  Then again, some people do it just because they think it's awesome.  I myself am all for it when it's possible to do so but then again I cheat at it by using a bread machine.  

We have the Sunbeam 5891 2 pound model and I've had it for about three years now.  I've made a few different loaves from scratch over the years, including a honey mustard bread, a cardamom bread, and a delicious chocolate bread.  I've even made jam in it.  But I also really think that gathering all of the ingredients can be a pain at times, so I generally find a good mix and stick with it.  There's a Hawaiian bread mix that I've been stuck on for a few years now.  So good that we eat just a whole loaf of fresh warm bread for dinner with loads of butter.  

So the whole gluten free bread thing?  Got a million times easier when we found Bob's Gluten Free mix.  We have found frozen loaves of gluten free bread at Winco, but it's expensive and small.  And frozen.  Not that I'm against frozen bread in general, as our usual plan of action for the rest of our family bread supply is to hit up the discount aisle in the back of the store and grab loaves for 50 cents to a buck and freeze them until we need them.  But the gluten free loaves that come frozen are $4, the slices are dinky, and there are only about 14 slices.  

We're happy to be baking our own 1.5 pound loaves now.  The Bob's Red Mill is of higher quality, makes larger (taller) slices, and is easy to make in my bread machine (which isn't just monkey-math as there are complicated things involved like "enough egg whites to fill 3/4 of a cup plus one whole egg.)  

How does it turn out?  

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/5063189227_d00bfbb3e9.jpg 
Sweet, hearty, and easy to slice.  Some of my breads come out with big giant holes through them from the way they were mixed, but not this stuff.  It mixes very clean and produces good solid bread.  

Wade loves the crap out of it.  Smacks his lips when he comes home and smells it in the house baking.  A kid with a gluten free peanut butter sandwich is a happy kid.  We like to make our kid happy.  

On another note, we tested him with some Quaker Oatmeal (which I previously debunked as NOT gluten free) and he seemed to be okay with it.  I'm still cautious, but it seems to be all right.  

Guess what else we found?  Gluten Free mac and cheese!  Stay tuned...

4 comments:

  1. It is funny, because every time I read something that is 'gluten free' I think of y'all now. Even though my uncle has had Celiac disease for years now...but he is a rat bastard. Anyway, I was having some Glee Gum the other day and it is gluten free.

    Glad you found some bread he likes and you have a bread maker, too. I would think that it would be fairly easy to make this cinnamon raisin bread, or whatever, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....ps....thanks for not having captcha. that stuff drives me nuts....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does Wade like grits? I am pretty sure Bob's Red Mill makes guaranteed gluten free grits. Quaker grits are like Quaker oatmeal - no gluten, but no guarantee that they aren't cross contaminated. Anyway, they are delicious and filling, and you can also let them cool off in a loaf pan, slice, and saute in butter. Change of pace. Glad he is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I see the grits somewhere I'll grab it. Willie likes grits so he cooked some for us one day, and nobody liked it but him. But we're going to try it on Wade if we find the BRM

    ReplyDelete